Hi there, it’s Heather from The Flourishing Foodie. Today I am sharing with you a favorite soup recipe of mine – creamy leek and roasted asparagus soup with chopped hazelnuts. This recipe is adapted from one that I found on the Beechers Cheese website a while back, when searching for their famous mac and cheese , which you should also give a whirl. Before beginning this recipe, you’ll likely need to make a quick trip to the local market, because if you’re like me, than you will rarely have that many fresh vegetables on hand. Potatoes, leeks, onion, asparagus, and spinach, some heavy cream and cheddar cheese. This soup is wonderful and nutrient dense. I feel as though I am treating my body good with each bite.
I decided to make a large pot just after our first wintery cold snap in Seattle. After layering up in my rain gear to take my dog for a short but reasonable stroll, I quickly returned needing something to warm a few cold fingers and toes. After enjoying a bowl or two, I packed the rest up into small containers and stored it in the freezer for the later week.
I thought this to be a great opportunity to share with you a recipe for something warm and comforting, since we’ve just hit the time of year when the sun sets a little early, and in Seattle, rarely makes an appearance. After a long and tiring day, when not enough chocolate has been consumed (in my opinion), we hop into our cars after work, and the sun has already beaten us home. With little energy to cook after work, I find it easier to grab a plastic tub of homemade soup from the freezer, and warm it up on the stove. A fresh loaf of bread, some warm butter. An easy and satisfy meal.
Creamy Leek and Roasted Asparagus Soup with Chopped Hazelnuts Recipe
makes 7 – 8 cups
recipe adapted from Beecher’s Handmade Cheese
1 sweet onion, diced
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large leek, sliced
6 cups veggie stock
1 large bunch of asparagus, chopped
1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups fresh spinach, steamed
½ cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp chilli flakes
¼ – ½ tsp hot sauce
2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 500ºF.
2. In a large pot, fry the onions with butter until translucent and shiny. Add the potatoes, and leek and stir. Add the veggie stock, and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce to simmer and cook until the potatoes are soft. Remove the soup from the stove and puree in a blender until smooth.
4. Place the pot back onto the stove and keep the soup warm on low.
5. Place the chopped asparagus onto a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the stems from the spinach. Place into a pot and steam until tender. Once steamed, place into a food processor or blender.
7. Remove the asparagus from the oven and put in a blender or food processor with the cooked spinach. Whiz until pureed.
8. Add the asparagus and spinach to the soup, along with the cream, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, hot sauce, and shredded cheese. Stir. Bring to a low simmer.
9. Serve soup with a tbsp or two of chopped hazelnuts. Store in the fridge covered for up to a week, or in the freezer for a month.