The fact that I am even posting this week is practically a miracle. Working full time with a newborn at home (who still wakes up for night feedings) is wearing me pretty thin. Obviously blog life comes a distant third to keeping Gemma alive and staying employed. Let me be honest for a minute and tell you that cleaning my house and personal hygiene come in lagging behind at 4th and 5th place. Too much? I know. It’s pretty bad…
Relief is coming; summer is so close I can taste it!! Sleeping in, snuggling with baby G, and wearing yoga pants all day are just some things awaiting me in the blessed month of June. Also waiting in the wings is a notebook full of projects and recipes that I’m dying to try out and share with you guys. I’m excited to get back in to the swing of all things blog related, but I still don’t know exactly how I will balance being a mom, working, and blogging long term. If anyone has any tips, I’d love to hear them.
Finally on my last week of maternity leave, I decided that it was now or never. Either I would make a mobile or forever be mocked by the blank space above the crib. I had NO plan, little money that I was willing to spend, and a whole lot of frustration to keep me company in aisles of Michael’s.
Supplies (purchased at Michael’s):
-floral wreath form ($8.99)
-colored cording (found in jewelry section $2.99-4.99)
-wooden tree house ($2.99) and cardboard birds (clearance bin-$1.99 for 12)
-paints and paint brushes
-felted wool balls for embellishments ($5.99)
1. I used colored floral wire to string chords across the wreath form. I twisted the wire tightly enough to support the tree house. (NOTE: You actually need to PAINT anything you will be using first. But given my failed attempts, I wanted to make sure this would work before investing even a minute more than I had to.)
2. I cut holes in the little cardboard birds.
3. Toothpicks helped to hold the birds as I painted both sides. They were also helpful when drying. When propped up on the toothpicks, both sides of the birds could dry at the same time.
3. Once all the hanging items were painted, I strung the cording through the holes at varying lengths and tied knots to secure in place.
4. Lastly, I glued the felted wool balls to the top of the frame to embellish.