Don’t you just love vanilla beans? I’ve only cooked with them a few times but feel like such a foodie when I do. Remember my vanilla bean pots de creme? They were probably my favorite dessert of all time, starring the almighty bean. What are some of your favorite vanilla treats?
This chai latte milk shake was one of those last minute, desperate recipes that comes together out of sheer need for something sweet and cold and the lack of desire to leave the house for an overpriced drink.
I cheated on the tea because we had chai bags already in the house. Which, by the way, we love. (I’m totally betraying my heritage by going the quick route to chai, but frankly I’m ok with that.)
This shake tasted absolutely D-I-V-I-N-E on a warm June afternoon, and we sucked them down in a mere 30 seconds.
1. Slice the top layer of a vanilla bean and scoop the seeds into a pot.
2. Add 2 cups of milk and bring to a slow boil.
3. Once boiling, remove from heat and add three chai tea bags. Remove pan from heat and allow the tea bags to steep in the milk for several minutes.
2. Measure one and a half cups of of the tea and let it cool to room temp. (I sped this up by letting it chill in the freezer for about 5 minutes.)
3. Add tea, 2 cups of ice and 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream to the blender. Blend until smooth.
*Makes two shakes.